Thursday, September 04, 2008

Thursdays with Walter, week 1

Here begins a series of posts quoting the instructor of my Thursday night class, LBSC 786. You will understand that I had to adopt a new note-taking technique that would enable me to separate real, functional notes from the kind of garbage I post here.

  • Driving in the dark when you're almost 60? You don't need acid, man!
  • That's the one thing you will get in this class: an obscure humor refresher course.
  • The cruel world awaits you, and this course will help you in no way whatsoever.
  • Ah, the fall, when college campuses are a-twitter with "like."
  • The art of bookbinding died centuries ago, but they keep doing it!
  • If you had to read this, your mind would snap.
  • This is one of my favorite books, because every time I open it, some of it goes away.
  • I'm Polish, and in high school I studied German, so I fought World War II in my head.
  • What are you doing here? Go back to your states! Aren't you in a militia or something?!
  • To fight the pandemic flu, get your hands drunk.
  • That's a good article. I'll probably...er...you'll probably find someday someone has made a copy of it and perhaps left it on your desk.
  • English literature students...I don't know that any of them ever got lives.
  • Mylar! I imagine sometimes the entire world under mylar! Suffocating, but so cool looking!
  • I started in the library as a page. Then I became a chapter, and now I'm about five novels.
  • College Park is hard to understand. It's like a huge yard sale with a university in the middle.
  • It's like a conservator's asylum.
  • One of 'em's a recidivist English major.
  • You don't have to be a member of the international conservation cult.
  • Why do mice always "scurry about?" Don't they ever just run? I saw a mouse scurrying about! It's like something from Dickens.
  • Your printing is so quiet! I should make copies for everyone! It's like artwork!
  • Why does my coffee maker have a clock on it? I don't want it to make coffee by itself! That freaks me out!
  • She was driving a Disney golf cart, so she was empowered.
  • The guy who did Goofy's voice figures into this class in conjunction with Bozo the Clown, but that comes up later.
  • You're a baseball person? You're going to like today's quiz. Oh, there's a quiz today, by the way.
  • A mission statement! Write that down!
  • Any good glues? I used to listen to jazz on the radio and assemble model cars, and I wasn't sniffing glue, but man, the jazz sounded awesome.
  • Static cling! It's better than laundry! I put a thing in mylar inside a plastic sleeve, and you'd need a truck to pull 'em apart.
  • You've been contaminated by Americana.
  • Why would you want to drive 200 miles per hour across a salt flat? Doesn't it make you thirsty just thinking about it?
  • That means everybody's here, plus two strays and a Spaniard.
  • Good luck with that, that's my advice.
  • Somebody figured out paper and somebody figured out ink, but they didn't do it on the same day.
  • Indulge me: I'm old.
  • No comments: