Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thursdays with Walter, week 3

  • This isn't worth anything, I hope. I use it as a Batman cape.
  • Help me! I'm an old map!
  • "page 31-34 creased, page 35 has a bullet hole, page 39 was eaten by mice, bloodstain on page 90"
  • This is a quintessential red state observation.
  • There is wisdom in the newspaper! You just have to dig deep for it.
  • There's only one other Rootie Kazootie book; oddly enough, it's called Rootie Kazootie.
  • We've all read a Little Golden Book. There's no stigma.
  • You all know the drill if the copyright mafia show up at your house. We live within the rules when it's possible.
  • It will be interesting to see if by the end of class you have a pound and a half of paper to lug around.
  • For this class only, I have created the Hindu god of dumpster diving. For those of you who weren't here, we talked about dumpster diving in the context of dumpster diving.
  • Paper you could take out to lunch, it's so good.
  • It's spelled "couching," but you don't say "couching" or you reveal your ignorance.
  • It was sitting there like paper with a match.
  • You're setting it on fire? It's going to burn, I think.
  • You try to make something safe, it's not permanent. You try to make something really exciting, it explodes.
  • It's...it's a horrid mutant waffle.
  • on burst testing: Why does that Kleenex just make it? Why does that shopping bag get you right up to the front door before the bottom drops out? They test that: it only needs to make it out of the store.
  • Never get into an armwrestling contest with a bookbinder.
  • It's a German machine--it makes no mistakes.
  • Tell 'em to go jump. You won't have a job left, but you'll have said that: that's fun.
  • "Shall" the vendor silly. You only have to "will."
  • In the meantime, you have an intermediary who speaks the language of the evil one: the lawyers.
  • If you start reading the boilerplate, I guarantee your mind will not be with you long.
  • You can't really do it at home using baking soda and a pair of pliers.
  • It's amazing: after all these years no one knows this stuff. I guess that's why I teach this class.
  • If there's anything in this profession that isn't a headache, let me know.
  • As soon as you buy it it already has shelf age, unless you go to the paper mill and grab it as soon as it comes out and throw it in a cooler like an organ transplant.
  • Now you can impress your HVAC buddies.
  • You're breathing last semester's air. Ew!
  • Whoever said it's not the heat, it's the humidity, they were the philosophers of conservation.
  • Why do I have that? That's a very good question, and you're never allowed to ask it again. Because if my wife hears it, then there'll be two.
  • Any kind of HVAC work, you'll need more than is left of Lehman Bros.
  • I don't know where they hire these people; there must be a lot of circuses going bankrupt.
  • It's like the baleen of a whale!
  • Microns are way smaller than peas.
  • You have once again incurred an expense.
  • If you have big pockets, get bigger ones.
  • There may be other people, but he's the guy.
  • On the scale of difficulty, this is toward impossible.
  • The image of people reading in sunlight? Might as well put a book in the oven. Here I am, cooking this book.
  • If you don't know if your building has drainage, you'll find out when you're swimming through your collection.
  • In the old days, it didn't matter: your carbon footprint could be a hundred miles wide and nobody cared.
  • You can see the humidity's having a little party down here.
  • It's very seldom 131F in the stacks.
  • First of all, the engineer is going to kill you, so you don't have to fire him.
  • On the web, you can see really snazzy, beautiful pictures; they look like they're in mylar.
  • No comments: