Friday, August 18, 2006

Cascade, Act II: Fire

Me: I'm poking around some websites, like ya do, and there are banner ads for Rozerem, a sleeping aid. Have you seen them? Abraham Lincoln and a huge beaver on a motorcycle, with the slogan, "Your dreams miss you." Actually, no, Abe and the beaver are in a sidecar.
Mike: Yeah, I saw the TV ads (and then the print ads later), and I immediately wondered why they were trying to connect their product to the month of February. See, cuz I thought the beaver was a groundhog. If they had used any other president, or any other rodent--barring, obviously, a groundhog--I wouldn't have been confused. Once I realized they were just trying to be surreal, it was kind of funny. But the whole February thing ruined it for me.
Me: Lincoln's pretty much a given, since he's certainly the most identifiable. How 'bout Lincoln carrying a garden gnome? On a merry-go-round?
Mike: See, funnier. You should have written their ads. Although garden gnomes might be over-used in commercials these days. Perhaps a dwarf.
Me: Lincoln, spinning a plate on a stick, riding bareback.
Mike: Lincoln, spinning a dwarf on a stick, riding bareback on a llama?
Me: Lincoln marrying a llama!
Mike: Lincoln marrying a dwarf llama! On a stick!
Me: A llama in a stovepipe hat!
Mike: Lincoln wearing a llama! And marrying his hat! (Mistaking his wife for a hat, if you will.)
Me: Oliver Sacks in a llama costume!
Mike: BF Skinner in a dress! In a box! On a stick!
Me: With Schroedinger's cat!
Mike: On a ladder! On fire!
Me: Balanced on the feet of three tiny Chinese acrobats!
Mike: Reading Proust! In the original French! (See, now that's a dream. Why aren't marketers as clever as us?)
Me: Translating into Swahili on the fly!
Mike: Monkeys! Somewhere!
Me: On fire!
Mike: We're repeating now, so I guess we're done. How long before it ends up on the blog?

No comments: