Friday, August 11, 2006

Once I'm Sent to Research Music from 1990, Can Total Anarchy Be Far Behind?

Me: Desert Storm: 17 Jan 1991-27 Feb 1991. "Right Here, Right Now" Billboard #1: 9 Feb 1991-9 Mar 1991
Mike: See there. With Jesus (Jones) all things are possible.
Me: I sent another email supporting "Rock the Casbah." How much would you pay to hear a military band playing The Clash?
Mike: Plenty. But that was so not 1990. More like 1980. And also, kinda tacky, no?
Me: 1983. But check this.
Mike: Yeah, I remember the stir about the Clear Channel list, and this song in particular. It figures it got co-opted by the Right (and the military...which I guess are the same thing). There's little recognition of satire or appreciation of irony among them, I find. And the more I think about it, the tackier it gets. Don't be tacky, SJA.
Me: Would you prefer "We Didn't Start the Fire?" That's at least from 1990.
Mike: Hmm...perhaps. But only if there's a video montage of burning Kuwaiti oil wells over it.
Me: Lemme check the script...it just says "Boots on the Ground" video. That could be anything. Seriously, the frontrunner is "Vogue."
Mike: Now *that's* comedy.
Me: I demand choreography.
Mike: And, ideally, appropriate costumes.
Me: There was a guy group we sang with in college who did an a cappella arrangement of Vogue, and when it got to the spoken part, two guys joined the soloist at the front of the stage and did the whole dance, straight out of the video. Mad, crazy audience response. Screaming, immediate standing ovation, applause for minutes afterward. I mean, this was eleven, twelve years ago and I remember it...not well enough to tell you what group it was, but still...Man, that was funny.
Mike: Well, I think your group should certainly try to live up to that. Maybe you can invite Madonna to make an appearance. It's for America, after all.
Me: We could put the colonel in a bullet bra. It'd be cheaper.
Mike: Would he be willing to bleach his hair? Ya know, for America?
Me: What hair?
Mike: Get the poor man a nice wig.
Me: Maybe the "Blonde Ambition" tour look.
Mike: I was thinking more her early look for him, but Material Girl would work, too.
Me: Desperately Seeking Finley.
Mike: Are you? I'm sure he's about.
Me: Not here. And frankly, that's fine with us.
Mike: Perhaps he's off picking out a new Madonna wig.

No comments: