Friday, December 19, 2008

Thursdays with Walter, week 6

  • I have very good notes on this. Unfortunately they're not here. So tonight, we're going to get very imaginative.
  • You start making bird noises until a hawk attacks you.
  • As funds become available...so in other words, they're never going to do anything.
  • I don't have a pointer. Does anybody have any tall chalk?
  • If I want to see how Bob Dylan burns, I just light him up.
  • Look at what age does to you, baby. Whoa. That's what happens to rock stars. Can we have a moment of silence?
  • To test this, you have to build a structure and set it on fire, or it doesn't count.
  • Y'ever have to buy a roof?
  • So the guy shoots you when you're wet.
  • Maybe giraffes work there.
  • Land of a million sprinkler heads, all in a row, like a big huge insect.
  • The water doesn't know, "oh, I have to go around this post."
  • Within half an hour, the place is full of water and smoke, so I'm parboiled!
  • This is giving grandfathers a bad name: anything that's grandfathered in is a bad idea.
  • They call that the Fire Triangle in fire talk.
  • This is why this is the ideal job: you can only work four hours, and then you have to take a two-hour break.
  • You're gonna put a fire out with ice?
  • He moved to one side, and the pipe went whammo! If he'd stayed where he was, he would've been whammoed!
  • You get Fast Eddie's pipes, and two years later you have Fast Eddie's leaks.
  • Big smart-aleck preservation namby-pamby.
  • You're not supposed to git 'er done, you're supposed to git 'er tested!
  • Aspiration! Let's all aspirate!
  • It's an orange tube full of noses.
  • We've got a heavy breather on 2.
  • They test it by lighting something, hopefully not one of your rare books.
  • Why should we have an alarm? We're the fire department!
  • Get to be a consultant if you want to get rich. Hundred dollars an hour? Why stop there?
  • Removes oxygen from the space in four minutes? Removes oxygen from you a lot faster!
  • One of the problems with CO2 is it's gonna kill you. Kind of a nasty side effect.
  • It's not gonna kill you. You might walk sideways or talk in a funny voice for the rest of your life, but what a price to pay.
  • Oh, well, we had a Gutenberg here, but it got blown off the shelf, a couple of pages got a little damaged...
  • Are computers all we talk about anymore?
  • If we don't get air in here soon, we're goners.
  • You see what happens with technology! Lucy showed us!
  • There's not much you can do about the weather. The weather's gonna win.
  • Doesn't that sound like a good idea? I could sell it to you.
  • Haven't you ever noticed when you move the toaster aside there's a little shadow of stuff?
  • That's my new favorite peeve.
  • I've talked fire suppression systems to death.
  • This is the real stuff, not just what I imagine.
  • This is the show and tell kingdom!
  • You touch the electrodes here...
  • It's like the flossing community. Big discussion.
  • And if it's late at night, it's a midnight quire.
  • Good for tomatoes, good for books.
  • Ah, the kettle stitch. Remains a mystery to me after all these years.
  • Bone folder! The terms start to thicken as you get into this.
  • Do you miss being in this class or what?
  • It has that acid free look.
  • If you don't know who Jack Kerouac is, you're not from this country.
  • He took some things in addition to his coffee.
  • Benzedrine is what there was before Starbucks. Starbucks is like a slow benzedrine.
  • When's the last time you were a hep cat?
  • You don't get free benzedrine.
  • The reality is that while you're at the Kerouac grave site, the guys mowing the cemetery are doing wheelies.
  • I was young once! Student: I was alive during the sixties. Hi! Send water!
  • This is relevant to the course...I'll make it relevant to the course.
  • There's a certificate of purity that comes with every bottle. You won't remember reading it, but in half an hour, you won't remember anything.
  • You're seeing things Jack Kerouac never saw.
  • They didn't do much editing; they just produced. Dickens was a tad wordy.
  • Craigslist, Harryslist, Edslist, next week it'll be Maryslist. They're all the same people. they're all Google. Google has all these pseudonyms so they can make extra money. It's like offshore banking.
  • The textbook industry is like an auction of your soul.
  • Before we go, you're gonna get one more glimpse of what's good about life.
  • I've accumulated quite a few things.
  • She was reading Kerouac.
  • That loaf of bread is so great to find in a book.
  • I need a refresher course in my own course.
  • No comments: