Friday, December 19, 2008

Thursdays with Walter, week 9

(I missed weeks 7 and 8, so don't ask me anything about disaster preparedness and recovery.)

  • Gigs? No, I play for the walls, and they're sorry enough.
  • People call me the book magnet.
  • Okay! I'm going to read your midterms out loud and comment on them as I go. None of you did really horribly, which was disappointing. Where are the flunkies?!
  • Oh, this one is in English. Good!
  • Some of you made a lot of sense. I was impressed.
  • This is a class on electronics, isn't it?
  • It's a waste of time looking. I won't bother. Oh, here it is!
  • I'm sorry, we can't hire you as investigative reporters.
  • When you have a good enough infection of preservation that you get the disease, then you start to be like me.
  • If I had not been watching the World Series, I would've read them with my other eye, too. This is the first time I didn't give any B's. See what baseball does for you?
  • Is the broadcast archives person here? See? What if she was my only pinch hitter?!
  • You'd wish it was absinthe.
  • Ha! This guy was really lit up!
  • We're saving these stories, and then we have to spend the rest of our lives trying to keep them away from children.
  • Okay, okay, show us Superman now!
  • Do you have a library card? Are you a convicted felon?
  • In this one, the people and the machines are robots.
  • Well, that's it. Sorry we didn't have popcorn.
  • No! 1957 was the Milwaukee Braves!
  • My training for that event was to go out in a school corridor and hide under my coat. A kid's winter coat that you wear for five years without ever laundering? *cough, cough* And if they dropped the bomb, who would care? It'd be an act of mercy!
  • You put all these bizarre stories together, and it turns out to be the truth!
  • Do you ever ponder? When's the last time you pondered?
  • You gotta start writing these names down and start reading stuff! You're culturally deprived!!
  • Lemon juice on the Constitution? She would've been so fired!
  • We're all moving way too fast.
  • Dewey Decimated: it's another story where someone gets murdered with a rare book.
  • Wherever the Right ends, he was to the right of that.
  • You're not gonna write this down, because come on.
  • That's our homage to the Native American
  • Why, it's the damn Book of Kells--again!
  • Oh where, oh where has my Book of Kells gone...
  • You can make your whole family look like they're from Jupiter with a few clicks.
  • I knew I shouldn't have drank that hearing stopper.
  • A, we couldn't cover it in five semesters, and B, no one will ever cover it.
  • If you want to save the forests, don't go there.
  • Billions of pixels per square nanometer!
  • I'm a little capture device!
  • You can't open a jpeg 354 Chrysler engine with a tiff six-cylinder Packard.
  • It becomes present with lots of little toasters. This is toaster paradise!
  • Millions of colors! You could go mad!
  • If you're not interested in this, you won't be interested.
  • I have two in my office--one for each eye.
  • That's the Achilles elbow...heel, neck, whatever you want to do.
  • It's like Lucy Ricardo packing chocolates.
  • There's a couple of words you don't hear at Yahoo: quality control.
  • What's your favorite M-word? Metadata!
  • They are trying to standardize things, because too many things are optional things in the world of thingyness.
  • Okay, we have Canon, and we have Epson, and let's say it's a new merged company, called Can-Epson. Conniption would be good. And your company is...Lego. It's very colorful and has a lot of components. And yours is the Deutchland Uber Alles, machine, the Hasselblatt. Ah, the Hasselblatt! If I had the money! And if I cared!
  • We're little federal pea-shooters, and they have cannons in the industry.
  • You have to really Hasselblatt it to get it there.
  • They apparently have petabyte servers in their cars.
  • You can see a huge XML parade!
  • Machines are profoundly stupid.
  • I'm from the future.
  • Isn't it a lot easier to just pick up Dewey Decimated and just read it?
  • You say that like you mean it: it's fun. I know what kind of fun that is.
  • No comments: